Each heat can hold up to 20 competitors. Once capacity has been reached, a waiting list for competitors will be created. Each competitor will be allowed to enter only one sandwich per category in a maximum of 4 categories for the entire competition. Young Chef Competitors aged 12-17 may only enter in the Young Chef category but may serve as assistants with an adult competitor in other categories.
Amateur Competitor is a person who engages in cooking as a past-time rather than as a profession.
Young Chef Competitor is a person aged 12-17 who engages in cooking as a past-time rather than as a profession (note: Young Chef competitors must be accompanied by an adult during the competition).
Professional Competitor is a person who engages in cooking as part of their profession or is an expert with specialized knowledge in culinary arts and in which one is practicing professionally.
ENTRY FEE is non-refundable and you must pre-register using Eventbrite (http://grilledcheesewi.eventbrite.com)
The entry fee includes admission for 1 competitor and 1 assistant.
Amateur and Professional competitors must be at least 18 years of age to compete.
Assistants must be 12 years of age or older and must be accompanied by an adult competitor during the competition.
Amateurs: $10 per Category
Young Chef: $10 per Category (Competitors aged 12-17 may only enter as a competitor in the Young Chef category but may serve as an assistant with an adult competitor in other Amateur categories.)
Professional: $15 per Category
Competitors may enter in up to 4 categories.
1. Competitors are responsible for checking in from 9:30-10:15 am at the designated Check-In stations located at the ticket entrance. Failure to do so may possibly prohibit you from competing if you are not checked in before your heat time.
2. Upon checking in and verifying information each competitor will get a packet with the following materials:
*All Sandwich Description Cards should be completely filled out before entering competition arena.
3. Competitors are responsible for attending the mandatory meeting at 10:30 am on the day of the event to obtain:
4. When a competitor’s designated heat is called, they will have 5 minutes to gather their supplies and report to their designated cooking station and get ready to compete.
A. Competitors will be supplied with the following equipment:
B. Competitors are responsible for bringing the following items to the competition:
6. Each competitor will bring any and all supplies and ingredients necessary to make 6 sandwiches (2 for judging, 2 for our VIP attendees to sample and extra ingredients for 2 more sandwiches in the event of error) for each category.
7. Competitors may prepare certain items ahead of your competition heat. (e.g., sauté onions and mushrooms, make a compote, make a compound butter, etc.).
9. NO outside cooking equipment or cookware is allowed. The table-top, butane burners are tested to work well with the 12” skillet provided. All other cooking devices and tools such as George Foreman Grills, deep fryers, toaster ovens, Panini grills, waffle irons, foil-wrapped bricks, PAN LIDS/COVERS, etc. WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.
10. All competitors must wear grilling hats, aprons, and sanitary gloves either provided or each competitor may bring their own hats, aprons, and sanitary gloves.
11. When handling food and equipment, all competitors will wear sanitary, disposable gloves.
12. While costumes are permitted and encouraged, they must include a hat, an apron, and sanitary, disposable gloves.
13. Sanitizing stations will be available to competitors to sanitize their cooking equipment before, during, and after they compete and after cooking in VIP area.
- Presentation 10 points possible
- Taste 20 points possible
- Style 10 points possible
SANDWICH CATEGORY DEFINITIONS
Bread: Any leavened or unleavened, flour-based and baked item that is considered to be “bread” (e.g., pita, whole-wheat, sandwich thins, etc.). Gluten-free products ARE ALLOWED.
*Butter: A sandwich grilling aid that includes, butter, margarine, plain or flavored oils, etc. are permitted, especially in certain categories. However, only REAL butter may be used in the “classic” category.
Cheese: MUST BE MADE IN WISCONSIN from an animal source. (Note: processed cheese is prohibited and will result in disqualification.)
Classic Plus One:
Classic Plus Extras:
Amateur Young Chef Open: Amateur-Young Chef competitors may prepare either the Classic, Classic Plus One, Classic Plus Extras, or Classic Dessert sandwich as defined above. A Young Chefs must be accompanied by an adult during the competition.
The top 3 scores for each category will be declared first, second, and third place winners for both Professional, Amateur, and Young Chef classifications. Winners will receive various prizes. The Lorin Toepper “Best of Show” will be awarded by the judges for the most outstanding grilled cheese sandwich of the Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Championship for the Professional categories. All Young Chef Competitors will receive a participation ribbon regardless of the outcome of that special heat.